Riley County Emergency Medical Service, located in Manhattan, Kansas, is a Type I level of care agency. Services are licensed as Type I only if they can provide paramedic level advanced life support 24 hours a day. Other services are considered Type II and Type IIa (ALS staff, not 24/7). We are the primary providers of Emergency Medical Services for all of Riley County, as well as the southwestern corner of Pottawatomie County (Blue Township).
- 30 Full Time Employees (Paramedics, AEMTs, EMTs)
- Manhattan Fire Department provides first response in the City of Manhattan
- 20 Part Time Employees (Paramedics, AEMTs, EMTs)
- Riley County Fire Department provides first response in their fire districts
- Over 4,700 calls or patient contacts per year, averaging over 12 calls per 24 hour shift
Three 24 hour shifts, each consisting of a Captain, a Lieutenant and seven other technicians who are either Paramedics, AEMTs or EMTs.
- Each crew works a 24-hour shift starting and ending at 7:00 AM, working three shifts with 24 hours off in between, followed by four days off.
- Our headquarters and administrative offices are located at 2011 Claflin Road. They were built in 1980.
- EMS Station Two is located at the Manhattan Fire Department on Poyntz Avenue where we house one EMS crew.
- EMS Station Four is located at the Manhattan Fire Department on Airport Road and houses one EMS crew.
- Members of our staff teach CPR, ACLS, PALS and other classes through area hospitals and educational institutions.
- Provide standby EMS coverage to area high school and university athletic events, special events and Bramlage Coliseum events.
- Sponsorship of Safe Kids, Riley County.
- RCEMS serves as a statewide clinical and field internship site for Paramedic, AEMT and EMT classes for several educational institutions.
- Kansas approved training center for continuing education for EMS and other public safety personnel.
- Tactical Emergency Medical Support Team that provides on-site support in high risk law enforcement tactical operations.