Inspection Reports and Filing Complaints

Child Care Licensing Inspections

Child Care Licensing staff conduct: 

  • Initial inspection visits of the day care home or center to verify compliance with state regulations
  • On-site annual inspection visits of licensed facilities
  • Consultation visits
  • Investigation of complaints

 You can search for inspection results for a licensed child care facility on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) website (link).  For an example of a facility report with inspection results visit the KDHE website (link). 

School Inspection Reports 

Riley County Health Department collaborates with Riley County Environmental Health to assure the school inspections are completed each fall. Results of Schools Inspections for each year are available online (link).

Restaurant Inspection Reports

The Kansas Department of Agriculture (KDA) is responsible for food safety inspections of food establishments, food processors and lodging establishments. Food establishments include restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, schools, senior meal sites, mobile food units and food operations in lodging establishments. Inspection results after August 4, 2015 can be found online (link). For inspection results prior to August 4, 2015 are also available online (link) at the KDA website.

Food-related illness or complaint

To report a restaurant complaint or an illness caused by a restaurant, food item or event, visit For investigate reports from an outbreak caused by food-related illness visit the KDHE website

Rental Property Issues

For rental property issues, please file a complaint online with the City of Manhattan using Report It!.  Report non-emergent issues you see across the community by online or downloading our Report It! app for Android or iPhone. Create an account for easy reporting, and when you use your email address, you will receive updates as we process your service requests.

Water Quality or Sewer Backup Complaint (within City of Manhattan limits) 

Contact the City of Manhattan. Regular business hours: Call 785-587-4530.

After hours, holidays, weekends: Call 785-587-4550

Sewer System Complaint (County) 

Please call the County's Environmental Health Specialist at 785-537-6332, extension 7505.

Mobile Home Parks

To report a complaint about a mobile home park contact the Riley County Planning and Development Zoning Enforcement Officer (785-537-6332 ext 7503)