Riley County


Where are you located?

The Health Department is located at 2030 Tecumseh Road which is located just south of Claflin Road and just west of Sunset. This location is a few blocks west of KSU campus and one block west of Mercy Health Center's Sunset campus.

The Family and Child Resource Center is located at 2101 Claflin Road in the lower level. Use the entrance located in the center of the building on the south side.

Do I need an appointment?

Appointments are necessary for clinic services and WIC.

Are there fees for services at the health department?

Some services are free and some have fees. Since we have many programs with different fee situations, please contact the program you are interested in for specific information.

Do I need proof of income to qualify for services?

Some services require pay stubs or other items as proof of income. Please check with the services you are interested in to be sure.

What are your hours?

Our clinic services are Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; Thursday, 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM; Friday, 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM.
Our office hours are Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Thursday, 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM; Friday, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Our administration offices are open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Where is WIC offered at?

WIC maintains a full-time clinic in Manhattan at the Child and Family Resource Center, 2101 Claflin Rd.
WIC staff also travel twice a month to Pottawatomie County - in Wamego at 1911 Grandview in the First Baptist Church.

Additional Info...

Can insurance be billed for clinic services?

For some services, yes. The primary insurances we bill include Medicaid, Blue Cross, Healthwave, and Preferred Health Systems. We bill all insurances for flu shots. The Health Department now takes KanCare (Medicaid Title XIX), we accept Amerigroup, Sunflower State, and UnitedHealthcare. If you have further questions, please ask us at 785-776-4779.

How can I get help paying for my medications?

We have clinic staff who may be able to help you with this, just ask at the clinic.

How can I find out about early childhood playgroups?

Playgroup is open Monday-Friday from 9:30 to 11:15 and every other Saturday. To find out specific details regarding playgroups please contact 785-776-4779.

Where can I get a list of child care providers?

Please contact Family Connections at 785-776-4779 extension 131 or Kinsey Carder at 785-776-4779 extension 136.

How do I make a complaint about a in home day care, center, preschool, drop-in program or school age program?

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) contracts with local/county health departments to provide local regulatory services including complaint investigations of regulated or illegal child care. Please call the child care licensing surveyor at (785)776-4779 extension 108.

Can you help me get a child care scholarship?

In order to qualify for a child care scholarship you must meet certain guidelines outlined in the application. The child care scholarship application is available on the Raising Riley website or by contacting Kinsey Carder at 785-776-4779 extension 136.

How do I know if I need to get a food service license?

Contact Kansas Department of Health and Environment at 785-564-6767.

How do I make a complaint about food safety?

Contact Kansas Department of Health and Environment at 785-564-6767 or via their online reporting at 

How do I make a complaint about a sewer system?

You may call the County's Environmental Health Specialist at 785-537-6332, extension 7505.

Additional Info...

When do I need a septic system inspection?

When you are contemplating buying or selling a house or when you suspect there are problems with your septic system.

Which services are in the Health Department building?

Administration, Emergency Preparedness, Family Planning, HIV/AIDS Case Management, Immunizations.

Facility Info...

What services are in the Family and Child Resource Center?

Health Department services in the Resource Center include WIC, M&I, Smart Start, Raising Riley, and Child Care Licensing. Other entities are located here too including two infant/toddler child care rooms operated by KSU Center for Child Development, Parents as Teachers, Family Connections and Early Head Start.

Facility Info...

Who qualifies for Family Planning services at the Health Department?

Anyone can access our Family Planning services. Fees are charged according to a sliding scale and persons at or below 100% of federal poverty guidelines are not charged.

Are Family Planning services confidential for minors?

Yes, Family Planning services at the Health Department are confidential for everyone, including minors. Parental consent is not required.

What does it mean to be a “mandated reporter” for child abuse and neglect?

According to Kansas law, whenever certain professionals have reason to suspect that a person under age 18 has been injured as a result of neglect or physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, the professional is required by law to report it. These professionals include teachers, nurses, social workers, law enforcement officers, licensed child care providers, counselors, and others.

Does the Health Department provide school physicals?


Where do you have blood pressure clinics?

We hold monthly clinics as follows:

  • Randolph Senior Center - First Monday of the month 11am - 12pm
  • Riley Senior Center - First Wednesday of the month 10:30 - 11:30 am
  • Leonardville Senior Center - Second Thursday of the month 12:45 - 1:30 pm
  • Colorado Plaza, Manhattan - Third Wednesday of the month 2:30 - 3:30 pm
  • When can I get a flu vaccination?

    Generally, we have flu vaccine available beginning sometime in September. We will announce details of availability on this website and on our phones.

    Do you have travel immunizations?

    Yes, we offer most travel vaccines but we generally have to order them. Check with us one month before you plan to travel!

    Am I expected to pay for services at the time of my visit?

    If your visit carries a client charge, you are generally expected to pay what you can at the time of the visit. A few special services at our clinic, such as travel vaccinations, require full payment before service is provided.

    Can the health department help me resolve a housing issue related to mold?

    The health department has no authority to mandate mold remediation in housing or business and does not provide air monitoring or mold remediation services. There are private firms that do that. Mold is an irritant and allergen for many people. The greatest deterrent to mold is to remove moisture. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Environmental Health website has strategies to help make homes safe and healthy.

    Questions related to mold and building inspections in Manhattan can be directed to the City of Manhattan Code Services at (785) 587-4506 or

    How can I find out about starting a child care program?

    Child care orientation is offered the third Thursday of every month from 6 pm to 8 pm at the Family and Child Resource Center, West End Conference Room. For additional information please contact 785-776-4779 extension 108.