View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
RILEY COUNTY RAMBLINGS – 100 YEARS AGO
From the Manhattan Republic April 7, 1908:
A Parochial School Here. Anderson Property Purchased for $14,000- To Be in charge of Sisters of St. Joseph.
(Note: This new school was named Sacred Heart Academy when it opened in September 2008. It did not become a boarding school. The Colonel Anderson home was a large stone house at 306 S. Juliette. The name of the school was changed to Seven Dolors Catholic School in 1951 at the time Luckey High School was built. The Anderson house was demolished when the new Seven Dolors Grade School was built in 1955.
Colonel John B. Anderson was the uncle of John A. Anderson who was President of Kansas State Agricultural College 1873 - 1878, United States Congressman 1878 - 1890, and then Consul General to Cairo, Egypt. John B. Anderson moved to Junction City when his nephew John A. Anderson became the minister of the First Presbyterian Church there in 1868 and then in 1880 moved to Manhattan, living in the large stone house at 306 S. Juliette. John B. Anderson later served as President of the First National Bank of Manhattan (which in 2008 is Landmark Bank of Manhattan) and served on the building commission that supervised the building of the Kansas Capitol building.
Before coming to Kansas he was a teacher, established a girl’s school and later was associated with a number of railroads. While supervising railroads, John B. Anderson met the young Andrew Carnegie and opened his personal library to him. Carnegie learned the value of having library access through this kindness and was inspired to fund many public and academic libraries across the United States, including a library at the College of Emporia in honor of John B. Anderson . John B. Anderson died in 1897 at Manhattan and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Junction City.)
From the Manhattan Republic April 17, 1908:
(Note: The batteries likely camped in Long’s Park. Briggs is on McDowell Creek in Geary County.)
From the Manhattan Republic April 21, 1908:
Wedding a Brilliant Affair.
(Note: Chauncey Dewey was the son of C.P. Dewey who bought the extensive land holdings in Riley and Geary Counties that became known as the Dewey Ranch. In 2008, most of what was the Dewey Ranch is known as the Konza Prairie. C.P. Dewey also built what was reputed to be the largest corn crib in the state, the first sale barn in the state, and the first dormitory for students at Kansas State Agricultural College. C.P. Dewey had a number of other investments in the area, including the Eureka Lake Resort, located where Job Corp is in 2008. As well as owning the Dewey Ranch, the family also owned a number of other ranches, including the Oak Ranch in western Kansas. It was in western Kansas that Chauncey Dewey, (along with some cowboys and employees from Manhattan) were involved in a shooting incident in 1903. Chauncey Dewey was tried for murder after that incident, but was acquitted. C.P. Dewey died in 1904 and his son Chauncey inherited a large part of his extensive estate.
Chauncey did not win the Congressional race mentioned in the wedding announcement and he and Elvira Dewey were divorced about 1920. His second wife was Lavon Presson of Junction City. Chauncey Dewey died in 1959. He and his wife Lavon (who died in 1994) and other relatives are buried in Junction City’s Highland Cemetery. Their graves are to the left, just inside the gate.)