RILEY COUNTY PARK ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
December 11, 2012
The Riley County Park Advisory Board met at 7:00 p.m. at the park office on Tuesday,
December 11, 2012. Board members in attendance were Tom Finney, Joe Edmunds, Janie Dunstan, and Alan Brown. Staff members in attendance included Greg Lund.
The meeting was called to order by Joe Edmunds, Riley County Park Advisory Board Chairman. Minutes from the previous meeting were distributed. Tom Finney moved to accept the minutes as presented, Alan Brown seconded the motion, motion carried. The monthly budget summary report was presented.
Staff reported on current county park projects.
• The purchase of the property at 101 Noon Street in Fairmont Park has been completed at a cost of $24,000.00. This money was allocated through the county’s CIP fund. The proposed field house/soccer area is still ongoing and cleanup efforts will continue. The culvert extension, grading, and seeding have been completed at the playground site in Fairmont Park. The installation of a sidewalk and trail could be the next step for the playground area.
• A replacement hot water heater was installed at Keats Park and there was some discussion on the need to repair or replace the rotted parking lot timbers. Replacing wood timbers with versa block may be a good choice.
• The CiCo Park dog park has been completed and some improvements to the drainage ditch may need to be made. A drinking fountain has been suggested at the entrance to the dog park. The park crew has been busy with tree maintenance at CiCo Park. Construction of the new playground at CiCo Park could begin as funds become available.
• Minor repairs were made to the restrooms at Wildcat Park.
• Plans to install a picnic table at Scenic Overlook were put on hold due to the high cost of the tables.
• The interpretive signs at Rocky Ford have been installed along with the railroad track and handcar display. Assistance from Larry Moon and the Central Branch Railroad Organization along with Riley County made this display possible.
• Staff is currently working on a ten year parks improvement plan. We are compiling information on the condition of all county parks, future projects, and cost estimates. This will help to identify and prioritize the needs for each park area.
An update on community park purchases was given. Most projects have been completed. Rock for Fairmont Park will be purchased before the end of this year. It was suggested that leftover funds be used to purchase park benches and used as needed.
The BOCC approved the purchase of a new mower and pickup from the CIP fund. These items have been ordered and should be a big help with the upcoming season.
The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks inspection report was discussed and will be reviewed further. This report is prepared every five years and is used to evaluate any repairs or needs required to maintain compliance with a grant funded project.
There is a small group of people requesting to install a little free library at each dog park. It would be a small cabinet to house reading material for pet owners. The group would be responsible for the installation and upkeep of the cabinet and reading material. The board was in favor of allowing the libraries to be installed at Fairmont and CiCo park.
An update was given on the current status of the vacant Park Director position.
Preliminary community park fund request were presented.
Randolph disc golf course and
sand for the playground
Fairmont sidewalk (at the proposed playground area)
Riley diving board or slide.
Tom Finney moved to adjourn. Janie Dunstan seconded the motion and the meeting was adjourned.
January Joint City/County Minutes
Riley County Parks Home