Personal Property

By law, personal property is taxable in Kansas. You are required to report it to the County Appraiser each year, on or before March 15th, as long as you own personal property.

  1. Who Should Report
  2. What to Report
  3. When & Where to Report
  4. Property Removed from Kansas

Who needs to list personal property?

Every person, association, company or corporation who owns or holds, subject to his or her control, any taxable personal property is required by law to list the property for assessment. 

If any person, association, company or corporation has in their possession or custody, any taxable personal property belonging to others, it shall be their duty to list the property with the appraiser in the name of the owner of the property.  [K.S.A. 79-303]

Personal property is listed for assessment on a tangible personal property form (pdf), also known as rendition.

The Property of:Is Listed By:
A WardHis or her guardian.
A MinorHis or her father.  If not living or unsound, then his or her mother.  If neither are living, then by the person in charge of the property.
The Trust for the benefit of anotherThe Trustee.
An estate of a deceased personThe Executor or Administrator of the Estate.
Held in ReceivershipThe Receiver.
A CorporationA Designee of the Corporation.
A Company or FirmAn Agent or Partner.

Who must sign the personal property statement?

By law, every person, association, company required to list property must personally sign the statement (rendition). In addition, if a tax preparer completes the statement then the preparer must also sign and certify the information is true and correct.