Kansas Secure and Fair Elections (SAFE ) Act

ID Required for Every Voter

Every voter must show photo ID when voting in person at the polls. Individuals who vote by mail will provide either their driver's license number or a copy of their valid photo ID with their ballot application.


Certain individuals are exempt from the ID requirements:

  • Permanent advance voters (voters with illnesses or disabilities)
  • Overseas military voters, their spouses and dependents
  • Voters with religious objections who sign declarations. The Religious Objection Declaration (pdf) has to be turned into the County Clerk's office, or at the polling location prior to receiving a ballot.

Valid Photographic Identification Documents

  • A Valid Driver's license or ID card issued by Kansas or by another state or nondriver's identification card
  • U.S. passport
  • Student ID card from an accredited post secondary education institution in Kansas
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Employee Badge or identification document issued by a government office
  • Concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or by another state
  • Public assistance identification card issued by a government office

Photo ID Examples (pdf)

Requesting a Free Non-Driver's Identification Card

A registered voter who does not possess any of the approved government-issued photographic identification documents may apply for a free non-driver identification card at the Division of Motor Vehicles. The Manhattan Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office is located at 8200 Southport Drive Ste 105, Manhattan, KS 66502. For hours of operation, please call the DMV office at 785-296-6834.

Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Non-driver Identification Card (pdf)

**IMPORTANT** In order to obtain a non-driver identification card, a person must present acceptable proof of identity and proof of residence to the Division of Vehicles, Kansas Department of Revenue. Qualifying individuals who lack proof of identity and desire to obtain a free non-driver identification card may obtain a Kansas birth certificate from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics at no cost to the individual

To obtain a free birth certificate in order to obtain a free non-driver identification card, all three of the following forms must be submitted to the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics by a qualifying individual:

  1. Application for Certified Copy of Kansas Birth Certificate (pdf)
  2. Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (pdf)
  3. Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Non-driver Identification Card (pdf)

Advance Voters Identification Requirements

A person voting in person in the county election office or at a satellite site is treated the same as a regular voter at the polling place on election day.

A person voting by mail may write his or her driver's license number on the application form or submit a copy of valid identification with the ballot application.

If an advance voter fails to provide identification information, or if the information provided is not valid, the county election officer may issue a provisional ballot, but the ballot is not considered valid unless the voter submits identification sometime before the county canvass.

No ID is required for Permanent Advance Voting Applications (qualifying individuals are sick or disabled).

Not Born In Kansas: Free State Voter Identification Document

Individuals not born in Kansas may find how to obtain a birth certificate in their state or territory at the National Center for Health Statistics website.

Individuals who were born outside of Kansas, who do not have proof of identity and do not wish to pay for such a document from their home state, may apply for a State Voter Identification Document. (NOTE: This identification document is valid only for the purpose of voting in Kansas and may not be used for any other purpose.)

To qualify, such person must:

  1. not possess any valid photographic identification documents under Kansas law,
  2. lack any of the documents necessary to prove identity,
  3. sign an affidavit attesting to items 1 and 2,
  4. be registered to vote in Kansas, and
  5. have been born outside of the state of Kansas.

Qualified individuals should contact the Riley County Clerk's office at 785-565-6200 or the election division of the Secretary of State's office at or 800-262-VOTE.