ATTENTION: Please Call for Appointments
The Riley County Environmental Health Department is temporarily short-staffed due to unforeseen circumstances. We are unable to take water samples at this time. For water samples, please contact Geary County Health Department in Junction City at 785-762-5788.
All other environmental health services including soil profile evaluations, wastewater systems inspections, and environmental systems evaluations are still available, but customers may experience longer wait times.
We are working with a contract Environmental Health Specialist during the interim period. Please call our office to schedule an appointment or if you need assistance. Appointments are typically scheduled Mondays and Thursdays, as available. We’re sorry, but we are not able to take walk-in appointments at this time.
We hope to return to our regular, full-service level by August. Thank you for your patience.
Environmental Health supports and enforces the Riley County Sanitary Code (pdf) through education, evaluation, permits and inspection. The sanitary code establishes standards to eliminate and/or prevent the development of environmental conditions that are hazardous to health and safety, and promotes the economical and planned development of the land and water resources for the county.
- oversees private water well installation
- provides private water well testing
- oversees private wastewater disposal system installation
- oversees private wastewater disposal system repair
- licenses wastewater disposal installers (pdf)
- licenses wastewater disposal haulers (pdf)
- provides recommendations on septic system and lateral field care
- performs sale of property environmental evaluations