Child Care Licensing

Riley, Geary, Clay, Dickinson, and Pottawatomie County

The goal of the Child Care Licensing Program is to reduce the risk of predictable harm to children while in out-of-home settings. The Riley County Health Department Child Care Licensing department works with all child care providers in Riley, Geary, Clay, Dickinson, and Pottawatomie County to ensure children within our community receive safe, high quality child care.

Girl on Slide

Services include:

  • Provide information and orientation to those interested in becoming licensed child care providers
  • Initial inspection visits of the day care home or center to verify compliance with state regulations
  • On-site annual inspection visits of licensed facilities
  • Consultation visits
  • Investigation of complaints
Boy Coloring

According to Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing care for children out of their home, other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Prior to applying for a child care license, prospective providers must:

  • Have a high School Diploma or GED and;
  • Required to attend New Provider Orientation

Child Care Orientation

Orientation is required for all prospective child care providers. The meetings for prospective providers are currently conducted online on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 2-4pm and the 4th Tuesday of the month from 6-8pm.

Orientation discusses all information pertinent for obtaining a license, to include training requirements, licensing requirements, etc. It is also a time for prospective providers to bring questions or concerns for discussion. 

Please pre-register for orientation by calling (785) 776-4779 Ext. 7662.  Please leave your name, phone number and what county the child care will be provided in if leaving a voicemail.

The orientation fee is $10.  The $10 fee will be applied to your initial survey fee, if you apply for a license.  Once you are registered and have paid the fee, you will receive the link and packet to participate in the online training.

Please view the link for Initial Professional Development Training Requirements for prospective providers.

Click on the links below for more information regarding child care licensing, classes, and resources for child care providers and parents.

For questions or information regarding child care licensing in Riley, Geary, Clay, Dickinson, and Pottawatomie County or to report a concern regarding illegal child care or a licensed child care facility, please contact your local Child Care Licensing Surveyor:

  • Riley County, Angie Hobbs, 785-776-4779 Ext 7656 or by email
  • Dickinson and Pottawatomie County,  Tarica Lare, 785-776-4779 Ext 7678 or by email
  • Geary and Clay County, Rachel Chapman, 785-776-4779 Ext 7652 or by email