Policies & Procedures

Solid Waste Policies & Procedures

KDHE Permit #185 As of December 1, 2019:

  1. No trash or refuse of any type is to be disposed of or otherwise landfilled on the property.  All such materials shall be disposed of through the Transfer Station, Yard Waste Disposal or Tree Disposal areas, as appropriate.
  2. Alcoholic beverages or the consumption of alcohol is not allowed on any Riley County property. Smoking is not allowed at the transfer station or in the gatehouse.
  3. No public access is allowed to the river through the Landfill or Transfer Station property.  Due to liability issues involved with unnecessary activities (i.e. bait collecting, fishing, or mushroom hunting) at the solid waste facilities, the only activities allowed must be related to solid waste disposal.  Fire wood, wood chips, and compost can only be removed during regular business hours by anyone.
  4. Trees, leaves, grass and other yard waste shall be disposed of in the yard waste area – not through the transfer station.
  5. Riley County does not accept dead animals unless bagged OR concealed in some manner.   Large dead animals are not accepted.  Dispose of dead animals in the transfer station.
  6. Riley County does not charge the general public for dumping uniform clean loads of trees, limbs, chipped wood, leaves, straw, hay and grass at the yard waste area.  As of July 1, 2005 there will be a fee (refer to Rate Schedule) for all commercial brush disposed of at the Solid Waste Facility.
  7. The public is allowed to remove firewood during regular hours at no charge.
  8. Compost may be released from the Transfer Station to the public when available.  The public may receive up to one loader bucket of compost per visit.
  9. Reference state law for regulations on securing loads hauled to the Transfer Station.
  10. It is permissible to dispose of asphalt material in the transfer station, if it does not contain fresh oil.
  11. Waste oil is accepted at the Riley County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Other household hazardous wastes are also accepted at the Riley County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.  Phone 785-539-3202.
  12. Solid waste disposal is only permitted during regular business hours.
  13. Persons dumping loads in tree waste area are required to separate logs from small limbed material and brush.  Only natural yard waste such as trees, brush, shrubs, limbs and logs are allowed to be placed in the tree waste area.
  14. Persons looking for lost items are not permitted to search loads prepared for transfer.
  15. Users will not be allowed to charge loads to other companies or accounts without written or verbal authorization being presented to the Customer Service Representatives at the Transfer Station.
  16. Grass, leaves, straw and hay are the only acceptable materials to be placed into the compost piles.  (No other materials are to be put in the compost piles unless tested for compatibility).  Users are required to empty non-compostable plastic bags in the compost pile and dispose of the bag in the dumpster.  Compostable paper bags do not have to be emptied.  Trees, limbs and chipped wood shall be separated from grass, leaves, straw and hay.  A charge may be assessed to persons who fail to separate loads properly.
  17. Clean, uniform wood chips, as determined by Solid Waste personnel, will be accepted at no charge.  Contaminated or undesirable loads of wood chips, as determined by Solid Waste personnel, and delivered to the Solid Waste Facility by a commercial entity will be considered Commercial Brush and charged a fee (refer to Rate Schedule) for disposal.
  18. Noxious weeds and weed seeds, as defined by the Kansas Noxious Weed Law, can be disposed in the Transfer Station.
  19. Riley County does not accept liquid materials or drums and containers with liquid contents.
  20. Riley County does not accept suspect powders or dusts of unknown origin.
  21. Riley County does not accept batteries. (See Household Hazardous Waste)
  22. Riley County does not accept used oil. (See Household Hazardous Waste)
  23. Riley County does not accept raw sewage.
  24. Riley County does not accept windborne materials in high wind conditions.
  25. Riley County does not accept items that are too large to be properly and safely handled with available equipment.
  26. Riley County does not process or handle asbestos or special wastes. Any special waste accepted by the transfer station contractor must be authorized, logged and handled directly by the contractor.
  27. White goods are sold to recyclers under the provisions of an annual contract.  Since the Federal Clean Air Act of 1990 prohibits the uncontrolled discharge of chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere after July 1, 1992, the following is the chlorofluorocarbon policy for recycled appliances and equipment containing chlorofluorocarbons at the Transfer Station.  Transfer Station customers have two options under this policy.  The options are:

    The customer may have a qualified refrigeration technician remove the chlorofluorocarbon from the appliance to be recycled.  The technician would attach a certification statement to that effect on the appliance.  The customer may then bring the appliance and the removal certificate to the transfer station and recycle the appliance at no additional cost to the customer.

    The customer may bring the appliance containing chlorofluorocarbon to the transfer station and pay a chlorofluorocarbon removal fee (refer to Rate Schedule).  Riley County will contract to remove the chlorofluorocarbon from the appliance thus making it acceptable for recycling.

Rules for Handling Special Waste

Riley County does not accept special waste.  All special waste is to be processed by the contractor, in this case, Hamm Quarries.  The contractor will be responsible for logging and permitting disposal of special waste as they determine.