Record a Document
This section lets you know what you need to bring with you and provide when recording a document with the Register of Deeds.
- The document must be an original with font size at least 6-point or larger to be accepted for recording.
- Copies are not accepted.
- Documents must be signed and notarized, including a notary seal and expiration date.
- If the document pertains to land records, it must contain a legal description.
- When recording a deed or an affidavit of equitable interest, a Sales Validation Questionnaire (pdf) must be included, or the exemption number plainly indicated on the document.
- All mortgage assignments must have the name and address of the Assignee.
- Filing fees are required at the time of recording the document.
- To prevent an extra page fee, please allow a 3" margin on the top of the first page for recording purposes, 1" on each page after that.
- The document shall be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear and legible reproduction. If a document is judged not to be of sufficient legibility, such document shall be accompanied by an exact copy thereof which shall be of sufficient legibility to produce the document and shall be counted as an additional page(s). The Register of Deeds may reject any document which is not of sufficient legibility.
- Pursuant K.S.A. 28-115 - Recording Fee Cap Affidavit (pdf).
- We would like to request a self-address stamped envelope for documents that are to be mailed back to the submitter.
Commonly Recorded Documents
There are various types of documents that can be recorded in the Register of Deeds office. Here are some examples of the most commonly recorded documents. For more information, please contact the Register of Deeds office at (785) 537-6340.
Affidavits of Equitable Interest
Affidavits, various types
Assignment of Mortgages
Assignment of Rents and Leases
Court Records - Only a select few
Deeds - Including Warranty Deed, Quit Claim Deed, Transfer on Death Deed, Trustee's Deed, Executor's Deed, Administrator's Deed, Dedication Deed, and Director's Deed
Federal Tax Liens
Kansas State Tax Liens
Military Discharges (DD214s)
Mortgages - Including Joint Mortgages, Mortgage Modifications, Mortgage Subordination, and Mortgage Releases
Oil and Gas Leases
Power of Attorney
Quarterly Truck Registration Liens - aka Fleet Liens
Release of Federal Tax Liens
Release of Kansas State Tax Liens
UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) Filings - Including Originals, Amendment to include, Terminations, and Amendments