Property Use Considerations

Building Permits

Before beginning construction, a permit is required for all new structures whether they are zoned for agriculture or residential. Check with the Riley County Planning and Development Department for building permit applications and additional information.

Entryways and Culverts

New entrances and culverts must meet County and township guidelines. When considering where to locate entrances and driveways on your property, consider accessibility during wet or icy weather conditions. Road construction across or through ravines, watercourses, or waterways must be carefully planned. If the drainage above where you plan to put your crossing is 160 acres or more, you must obtain approval from the Kansas Board of Agriculture, Division of Water Resources. Entrances and other work in the road right-of-way can not be constructed without applying for a road right-of-way use permit, and approval from the Riley County Public Works Department.

Installation and maintenance of Entrances on County Rights-of-Way

Entrances may be installed in County rights-of-way for private individuals, businesses, and other agencies upon approval by the County. The County must review proposed installations for appropriate approach sight distances, to calculate drainage area to determine culvert size and design, and to approve types of materials used to construct the entrance. The standard minimum width for entrances installed in the County rights-of-way is 20 feet of driving surface with 2 ½ to 1 end slopes. CMPs shall be installed with a 12" minimum cover, including surfacing.

Existing Culverts

The County will maintain or improve existing entrances previously installed in County rights-of-way.

Health Permits

Riley County has a Sanitary Code, which requires you to obtain well, and wastewater permits from the Health Department before you build. Before any permit is issued, you must arrange for an on-site evaluation of your property with the Health Department (for more information see "Utility Service Considerations").


Each residential zone has its accompanying setback requirements. If your property is platted, the front yard setback lines are shown on the plat, which can be found in the Register of Deeds office or the Planning and Development office. For back and side yard set-backs, check with the Planning and Development office. Make sure you have enough space to accommodate setbacks, possible separation distances and the topography. If your property is on a major or minor highway, your setback will increase.