View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
RILEY COUNTY RAMBLINGS – 100 YEARS AGO
From the Riley Regent October 4, 1907:Leonardville News. The fire department has been reorganized and taken on an active appearance again. Ed Helms was re-elected chief.
From the Randolph Enterprise October 31, 1907:
Walsburg. A couple of fortune tellers made the rounds of our neighborhood last week. They did not get to tell many fortunes as our farmers know that giving them money will not make a fortune.
From the Manhattan Republic October 18, 1907:
VARIOUS KINDS OF TROUBLECouncil Hears Grievances of Many Kinds. City Work Progressing. There were several troublous matters to be cared for at the last council meeting. Even the report of the police judge showed that there had been trouble all during the month and his report showed a variety of fines aggregating over $70.00. These were gathered in from a miscellaneous assortment of offenders from fast driving and riding on the sidewalks to drunks and gambling. It may be that the town is getting worse or it may be that this cleaning up means that it is getting better. The city property committee reported trouble regarding the city crusher. The neighbors regarded it as a nuisance and protested against a repair to the building. It was suggested that it be located up by Bluemont. The street committee reported trouble over the walk in front of Hostrup’s barber shop. It was decided to require a new cement walk. The same committee also reported trouble in the north part of town where the city had failed to put in crossings for the new walks, but that it would soon be done. The firemen had a petition in asking that no teams be permitted to hitch on north second (third) street between Humbolt and Poyntz as in case of a run, the fire team could hardly get through without an accident. The council foresaw that such action would make trouble unless all hitching racks were removed from main street and they also saw that would create more trouble, so a special committee was appointed consisting of Sherman, Anderson and Engel, to see what relief could be given. John Richards was here to make complaint of the city marshall for language unbecoming an officer, but as it seemed to be a private instead of an official trouble, the council passed it up. There was another side to the work of the council. There was a petition from nearly all the property owners between First (2nd) and Second (3rd) on the north side of Poyntz avenue, asking for a cement walk and gutter, and a petition from Osage street asking for curbing, and one asking for two street lights on Vattier. The sewer committee reported progress, the finance committee that the last Rock Island bond had been paid, and the reports of the officers showed that all city work was progressing nicely.
(Note: The City of Manhattan built a new stone City Hall at 112 N. 3rd street in 1903. Elected in the April 1907 City elections were: J.J. Paddock, Mayor; Thomas Hunter, Police Judge; P.C. Hostrup, City Treasurer; G. A. Sherman, Councilman Ward 1; J.D. Walters, Councilman Ward 2; J. M. Correll, Councilman Ward 3; H.S. Willard, Councilman Ward 4. The building was torn down after the new City Hall at 11th and Poyntz opened in 1956.)