View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
Tuesday, 26 August 1997 Riley County Office Building
7:00 P.M. Second Floor Meeting Room
Members Present: Burke Bayer, William Clark, William Eberle, Steve Galitzer, Dan Harden, Roger Kvasnicka, Gary Naughton, Bob Newsome, Monty Wedel, Van Withee, Fran Zerby
Members Absent: David Bollman, Betty Book, Dianne Brummet, Phyllis Epps, Jerry Ericson, David Horn, John Hunt, Ernest Jordan, Edmund Kriebs, Roger Kvasnicka, Alan Ladd, Bruce McCallum, John Ott, Dennis Peterson, Bob Rogers, Damian Schmidt, Karen Visser, Judy Willingham, Howard Wilson
Others Present: Richard Nelson
Staff Present: Julie Winter
The meeting was called to order by Steve Galitzer, Chair.
1. Roll call (Attendance sign-up sheet)
The attendance sign-up sheet was passed around the table.
2. Minutes of Previous Meeting.
A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes of June 17, 1997 as
distributed. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Update on Solid Waste Grants (Richard Nelson & Monty Wedel)
· $17,875.00 received from KDHE on August 16, 1997
· Study to begin the week of September 8, 1997 and will end in 1 year
· Hire Gary Naughton as consultant (Gary will resign from Committee due to conflict of interest)
· LEC will not be included in study due to limited space, however the new Weed Department, County Shops & HHW (KSU) are all possibilities
· Study should identify specific industries naming each entity that can utilize woodwaste for energy.
· Start sorting around the middle of October, 1997
· Study should identify what is in the waste stream
· Looking for volunteers to sort through waste at Transfer Station site
Education Grants – Monty Wedel
· Probably will not receive third grant this year.
4. Update on battery site in Fairmont (Monty Wedel)
Wedel reported that the Kansas Department of Health and Environment has determined that there are three problem areas. Riley County is waiting for KDHE Agreement approval in order to begin the clean-up process. Cost of clean-up has not yet been determined.
5. Update on Recycling Directory publication and distribution (Monty Wedel)
Committee has asked Monty and his department to update the recycling directories as needed and to proceed with the printing and distributing as soon as possible. A suggestion was made to change the year status to 1997-98 due to the late distribution.
6. Update on changes needed to Solid Waste Management Plan (Monty Wedel & Steve Galitzer)
a. Solid Waste Management Plan - Rules & Regulations item #2
· Riley County information – completed
· Manhattan City information - not completed
b. Solid Waste Management Plan – HHW Permit
· Change small quantity of generator waste
· Increase amount of material allowed in storage
7. New Business – Monty Wedel
The City of Manhattan officials are investigating recycling opportunities.
8. Set date and time for next meeting/Adjourn
The next meeting of the Solid Waste Management Committee will be Tuesday, September 23, 1997 at 7:00 in the Board of County Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the First floor of the Riley County Office Building, 110 Courthouse Plaza.
The meeting was adjourned.