View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
County Ramblings - 100 Years Ago
the Manhattan Republic
The Republic to Move.
March 1st We Expect to be Established in
our New Quarters in the Ulrich Building.
About March 1st
the Republic will be moved to upstairs rooms in the Ulrich block formerly
occupied by the county officers. The rooms that were occupied by the
clerk of the court, register of deeds, county attorney, probate judge and
janitor have been secured for a period of five years.
(Note: This is 331 Poyntz. The space was available because the county officers
were moving into the new Riley County Court House.)
These rooms will be rearranged for the purpose of making of
them a model printing office, and when the remodeling and refitting is finished
the Republic will have the finest, most convenient and comfortable quarters of
any newspaper in this town.
The Republic has entirely outgrown its present home and a
move was imperative. Our new lease gives us more than double our present
floor space and will give opportunity for our continued growth and
expansion. We know that our friends will rejoice with us over this long
step forward, evidence of the development of the paper.
G.A.R. Hall in Court House Dedicated with Appropriate
various patriotic societies of the city united last Friday evening in
dedicating their new hall in the Court House, set apart for their use by the
County Commissioners. The societies represented were both of the posts of
the G.A.R., the W.R.C. and
the Ladies of the G.A.R.
(Note: G.A.R. = Grand Army of the Republic, a Civil War Union
soldier organization; W.R.C. = Women’s Relief Corp, a
women’s auxiliary to the G.A.R as was the Ladies of
Preceding the exercises there was a sumptuous supper prepared by the ladies,
served to those present. Tables seating nearly a hundred were set in the
long corridor and were filled and emptied of people three times; they never
were emptied of good things to eat.
guests then adjourned to the court room for the evening’s program.
Previous to the published program a little campfire meeting was held. Mr.
G.M. Simpson gave entertaining exhibition of the
manual of arms as used in 1861 65. Mr. G. A. Anderson of Zeandale was then called upon and introduced as the soldier
with the longest record of service in the county. He told briefly of his
soldier days, that he enlisted Aug. 15, 1861 at Chicago and was mustered out
May 15, 1866 at Houston, Texas. He fought all through the south and west,
Boonville, Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Vicksburg and the last year was police
duty in Texas.
Allen then responded to a call for music and played “Turkey in the Straw” with
an ardor which almost set the three divines in the amen corner to dancing
jigs. J.N. Limbocker
gave a few incidents of camp life.
regular program was then taken up. Music was furnished through the
evening by Mr. and Mrs. Bates and Mr. Pratt. Rev. Thurston opened with
Nellie Rhodes McMillan of Leavenworth, Department President of the Ladies of
the G.A.R. was called for and made an eloquent talk
on the work of the order to which she belonged. The Manhattan members are
very proud of Mrs. McMillan, for she was one of “Our Girls” and makes a very
capable head of an order which has nearly 1500 members.
Alexander gave a humorous reading that was greatly appreciated. Miss
Florence Deputy sang beautifully “Tenting Tonight” in which the audience joined
in the chorus with a vim. Mrs. Silkman sang “Marching Through
Georgia” with a spirit that made the “Old Boys” feel good.
Everything was enjoyed, but the best thing of the whole evening was the
splendid talk by Rev. S.A. Bright. It was a mingling of earnestness and
fun. He told the great spirit that actuated the
men who fought the Civil War and of the heartbreak that was so oft recurring,
of disagreeable duty, of hilarious fun and of the heroic bravery. The old
soldiers were greatly pleased with this address. Rev. McLain closed the
exercises with prayer.