View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Riley County Ramblings – 100 Years Ago

 

From the Manhattan Republic
April 11, 1907:

 

In Its New Quarters
    Parkview Hospital is moving this week from its old home, corner of Juliette and Leavenworth, to its new home on the corner of Juliette and Laramie. 
    In the company with Miss Spohr, a reporter for the Republic had the pleasure of an inspection of the new quarters yesterday.    
    The building is two and one half stories high and will accommodate sixteen patients.  It is heated by hot water, lighted by electricity, is equipped with hot and cold water and is modern in every particular.  The rooms for patients are light, well ventilated and very pleasant in every way.    
    On the first floor aside from the patients rooms are the waiting room, office, rooms of the head nurse, dining room and kitchen.  On the second floor is the operating room, the nurses’ work room and the patients’ rooms and on the third floor are two large end bed rooms.  The rooms all contain electric bells connected with an enunciator located in the nurses’ work room.  There are commodious closets, private telephone, bathrooms and in fact everything that is necessary for a strictly up to date hospital.
    The location is almost ideal, being away from noise of any kind.
     Parkview Hospital is one of the kind of institutions that is a good thing to have in a town and with its new quarters and under the management of Miss Spohr, there seems to be no reason why it should not have a very prosperous future before it.

 


April 28, 1907:

 

$200 Wanted
    Mr. Simpson of Chicago representing the Howard Clock Co., is putting up the court house clock.  The clock fund is shy $200 and any and all patriotic persons or societies, having the civic pride and the money are urgently urged to help the cause along.

 

Export Business

    Stuart Hogg, formerly a resident of Manhattan, but now of London, England, wrote to J.B. Anderson, this week asking that a cattle whip be sent to him in London.  He probably wishes to give the English cattle a taste of true western life. 

     (Note:  Sir Stuart James Hogg came to Kansas for a month in the summer of 1883, with his son Stuart James Hogg Jr., to look over his business interests with the British Land and Mortgage Company.  In late summer 1883 the headquarters of the British Land and Mortgage Company of America was moved from Atchison to Manhattan, with E.B. Purcell in charge locally.  
    From late 1883 until June 1892 the younger Stuart Hogg was a resident of Manhattan, working and attending Kansas State Agricultural College.  In June 1890 he returned to London to marry Margaret Alice Muir.  After a wedding trip the couple moved to Manhattan and lived at 618 Houston.  Margaret Hogg kept a diary during her time in Manhattan which was edited by Louise Barry and published in the Kansas State Historical Quarterly Volume 19, pages 269 – 286.  A secretary-desk that belonged to the Hoggs is currently on exhibit at the Riley County Historical Museum.)