View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
RILEY COUNTY RAMBLINGS – 100 YEARS AGO
From the Randolph Enterprise June 13, 1907:
Newman Brothers are now using their gasoline engine to turn their ice cream freezer. They have had a small building erected at the rear of their store for an engine room.
(Note: Fredrick J. Newman (b. 1872 – d. 1947, buried in the Randolph Fancy Creek Cemetery) and his brother William H. Newman (b. 1876 – d. 1929, buried in the Leonardville Cemetery) opened a drug store in Randolph in 1894. Later, William opened another drug store in Leonardville, which burned in January 1909, but was rebuilt.)
From the Manhattan Republic June 28, 1907:
Stingley Bros. Win. Get Contract for Erection of Domestic Science Building. The contract for the erection of the domestic arts and science building for the State Agricultural college, for which the last legislature appropriated $70,000, has been let to Stingley Brothers, of Manhattan for the sum of $69,500. There were only two or three other bidders, and the Stingley bid was the lowest. This bid does not include plumbing, electric wiring, etc. The new building will be located just south of the present domestic science building. Stingley Bros. have just completed the erection of the horticultural hall at the college.
(Note: The Domestic Science building that was constructed in 1907 and finished in 1908 is known as Calvin Hall at Kansas State University in 2007. The “present domestic science building” mentioned is Kedzie Hall. The horticultural hall completed in 1907 is known in 2007 as Dickens Hall.)
Dr. Moffitt Will Build. Will Commence Modern Colonial Residence at once. Dr. E.J. Moffitt will at once commence the erection of a modern colonial residence which will be one of the finest homes in the city. Outside dimensions will be 45 feet by 55 feet, two and a half stories high with basement. The house will be built on the corner of 8th and Leavenworth streets, facing south and west. A porch will extend across the south of the house, the front door will open into a vestibule, doors will lead from this to the doctor’s den on the left and into a living room on the right 24 feet square. The dining room will be back of the “den” and the kitchen with three pantries back of the dining room. A porch enclosed with glass in winter and netting in summer is back of the kitchen. Opening into the living room is a stair hall with an east entrance. This is a cozy room with a big fire place and connected with the living room by a large opening. On the second floor, four large chambers and a bath room open into a central hall. Each bedroom is provided with two closets. In the basement is a boiler room, vegetable cellar, coal bin and etc.
The house is elegant throughout and has countless little comforts and artistic touches. The plans were drawn by H.A. Spuhler and show his good taste. The work will be done by Harvey Lewis and Ed Moorman. Mr. Lewis as everybody knows, does good work, and while Mr. Moorman is a more recent arrival, he has done some excellent work since coming to Manhattan, having been employed all winter on the Deibler cottages.
(Note: This house is at 928 Leavenworth. Dr. E.J. Moffitt was born at Jessup Iowa in 1872. He married May Murphy, daughter of the President of the First National Bank in Manhattan. They had three daughters. In 1913 he built another fine new home at 221 N. Delaware. By 1920 the family moved to Hollywood California where Dr. Moffitt practiced medicine until his death in 1947. The Moffitt house at 928 Leavenworth was home to Phi Delta Theta fraternity from 1921 to 1940. After 1940 the building was known as the Colonial Apartments.)
928 Leavenworth, built 1907 for Dr. Moffitt.
221 N. Delaware, built 1913 for Dr. Moffitt.