View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
RILEY COUNTY RAMBLINGS – 100 YEARS AGO
(Note: Dr. and Mrs. Perry bought what is today the Wolf House Museum at 630 Fremont in 1875. Dr. Perry died in 1911 and Mrs. Perry died in 1930. They had three children who lived to maturity: Edward Perry, George Hazard Perry, and Elizabeth Harling.
August 10, 2008 will mark the 150th anniversary of the Perry marriage.)
From the Manhattan Republic August 11, 1908:
(Note: The first Riley County Fair was sponsored by the Blue and Kansas Agricultural Society in 1869 in Manhattan. By the late 1880’s this fair was fading and eventually was discontinued entirely by the 1890’s. In 1889 a new organization, the Riley County Fair Association, organized at Riley and annual fairs were held in Riley until about 1917. There was a fair held in Riley August 25 – 28, 1908.)
From the Manhattan Republic August 14, 1908:
Fifty Years Old Today.
(Note: 2008 marks the 150th anniversary of the First Baptist Church. Mrs. John Pipher’s father in law, Judge Pipher, was a founder of the First Methodist Church of Manhattan. In 1908 the church was located at Fifth and Humboldt. A new church built in 1911 at Juliette and Humboldt served the congregation for 55 years. They moved to their present location on Blue Hills Road in 1966.)