News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/21/2020 4:59:00 PM to 5/21/2020 6:18:34 PM.

News Flash

Coronavirus COVID-19 Updates

Posted on: May 21, 2020

[ARCHIVED] 5-21-20 Riley County Issues Updated Local Health Order No. 9

(RILEY COUNTY, KS – May 21, 2020) Riley County Local Health Officer Julie Gibbs issued Order No. 9 which goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, May 22. This order modifies the previous health order to remove reference to Phase 1.5 and replace it with reference to Phase 2.

Local Order No. 9 is identical to Local Health Order No. 8 in all other aspects. Read the order at 

Restaurants in Riley County are still required to close at 10:00 p.m.

All businesses and locations that are allowed to reopen under the Governor’s Plan are required to take proactive measures to ensure compliance with guidelines from the Centers from Disease control (CDC) as well as industry-specific guidance published by trade groups. Nothing in this order should be interpreted to require that any business must open if they choose not to.

For more information about Riley County’s response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, visit the Riley County website at, follow RCHD on Facebook at and Twitter @RileyCoHealth.


FAQ  for Phase 2

Why do restaurants have to close at 10:00 p.m.?

Guidance from the Manhattan Area Recovery Task Force revealed that restaurant kitchens typically close by 10:00 p.m. To comply with the Governor’s Order, which does not allow bars and nightclubs to open during this phase, the Local Health Officer and Incident Command Staff made the decision to close restaurants at the time kitchens close.

Do businesses need to limit the number of customers in their shops at one time?

All businesses should limit the number of customers to avoid crowding and allow for proper social distancing, at least 6 feet of space between customers or groups of customers.

What is the difference between a bar and a restaurant?

The categories are determined by the type of license held. A restaurant will carry a category 1 or 2 license issued by the state. Any business with just a category 3 license is considered a bar and is not allowed to open at this time.

Facebook Twitter Email