What are the required setbacks for my property?

Building setback requirements from right-of-way or property lines vary by zoning category. Generally, all buildings must be setback from all right-of-way lines 25 feet except when abutting a major or minor traffic way (NOTE: The right-of-way line is not necessarily the edge of the pavement. The right-of-way is considerably wider than the roadway surface) Side and rear yard setbacks vary for each zoning category and by building type. To determine these requirements you should contact Planning & Development before beginning construction.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a building permit to construct a fence?
2. Do I need a permit to build a structure in the unincorporated area?
3. Does Riley County have building codes?
4. Does Riley County notify surrounding property owners if someone has obtained, or is in the process of obtaining, a building permit?
5. I am planning on building a house. Do I need a property address before I get my building permit?
6. I’m not sure where my property lines are. How do I get accurate information?
7. What are the required setbacks for my property?
8. What should I do if I notice construction and suspect that the owner or builder did not obtain a building permit?