View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version


From the Manhattan Republic
April 7, 1908:

A Parochial School Here. 
Anderson Property Purchased for $14,000- To Be in charge of Sisters of St. Joseph.  
    The Catholics have closed the deal for the purchase of the Colonel Anderson residence property, paying $14,000 for it, and will establish here a parochial school under the care of the Sisters of St. Joseph.  This means that the school will be filled with the very best teachers and that Manhattan will begin to be more a center of Catholic activity.  These schools where established, tend to bring in large numbers of pupils from both Protestant and Catholic families, the careful supervision given the pupils being greatly appreciated by parents regardless of religious faith.  Though it is not yet decided whether or not it will be a boarding school at the start, it will undoubtedly become one in time.  The bishop at Concordia will have general supervision and the teachers will be sent here from the Concordia convent school.
Both boys and girls will be admitted.  The future of the school will depend on the patronage.  If the patronage justifies it will grow into an academy.  This school means a great deal to Manhattan, as it will tend to bring here many Catholic families who desire to be in touch with a school of their own faith.

    (Note:  This new school was named Sacred Heart Academy when it opened in September 2008.  It did not become a boarding school.  The Colonel Anderson home was a large stone house at 306 S. Juliette.  The name of the school was changed to Seven Dolors Catholic School in 1951 at the time Luckey High School was built.  The Anderson house was demolished when the new Seven Dolors Grade School was built in 1955. 

    Colonel John B. Anderson was the uncle of John A. Anderson who was President of Kansas State Agricultural College 1873 - 1878, United States Congressman 1878 - 1890, and then Consul General to Cairo, Egypt.  John B. Anderson moved to Junction City when his nephew John A. Anderson became the minister of the First Presbyterian Church there in 1868 and then in 1880 moved to Manhattan, living in the large stone house at 306 S. Juliette.  John B. Anderson later served as President of the First National Bank of Manhattan (which in 2008 is Landmark Bank of Manhattan) and served on the building commission that supervised the building of the Kansas Capitol building. 

    Before coming to Kansas he was a teacher, established a girl’s school and later was associated with a number of railroads.  While supervising railroads, John B. Anderson met the young Andrew Carnegie and opened his personal library to him.  Carnegie learned the value of having library access through this kindness and was inspired to fund many public and academic libraries across the United States, including a library at the College of Emporia in honor of John B. Anderson .  John B. Anderson died in 1897 at Manhattan and is buried in Highland Cemetery, Junction City.)

From the Manhattan Republic
April 17, 1908:

Soldiers in Town.

     Batteries “B” and “C,” field artillery, camped at the west end of Yuma street last night, and during the evening and late in the afternoon the streets were crowded with soldiers.  The batteries were out on a three days’ practice march, going from here to Briggs and back to Ft. Riley.


    (Note:  The batteries likely camped in Long’s Park.  Briggs is on McDowell Creek in Geary County.)

From the Manhattan Republic
April 21, 1908:

Wedding a Brilliant Affair.
    In a lengthy account of the Dewey-Millspaugh wedding which occurred last evening, the Topeka Capital says, in part:
“Last night Grace cathedral was the scene of a brilliant and beautiful wedding for Miss Elvira Millspaugh, daughter of Bishop and Mrs. Frank R. Millspaugh. (She) was married to Mr. Chauncey Dewey of Chicago.  The wedding hour was set for 7:30 o’clock and the ceremony took place a few minutes after that time.
The ceremony was performed at the chancel rail and was very impressive as it was read by the bride’s father, Bishop Frank R. Millspaugh.
The wedding was a notable one for many reasons, first among them being that the bride belonged to a family prominent in the social and church world, and that the groom is a man of financial and political influence as well as a man of many friends.  In Chicago he is a member of the Union League, the Chicago Athletic club, the Calumet, Hamilton and South Shore Country clubs.  He is a delegate from the Illinois First district to the National Republican convention to be held in Chicago and is also a candidate for election as United States Congressman from Illinois.  As the daughter of the Bishop of the diocese, Miss Millspaugh’s acquaintance was very large and she has many friends in Topeka.  
Mr. and Mrs. Dewey left last night and will sail May 3 for Liverpool, to spend a month in Europe.

    (Note:  Chauncey Dewey was the son of C.P. Dewey who bought the extensive land holdings in Riley and Geary Counties that became known as the Dewey Ranch.  In 2008, most of what was the Dewey Ranch is known as the Konza Prairie.  C.P. Dewey also built what was reputed to be the largest corn crib in the state, the first sale barn in the state, and the first dormitory for students at Kansas State Agricultural College.  C.P. Dewey had a number of other investments in the area, including the Eureka Lake Resort, located where Job Corp is in 2008.  
    As well as owning the Dewey Ranch, the family also owned a number of other ranches, including the Oak Ranch in western Kansas.  It was in western Kansas that Chauncey Dewey, (along with some cowboys and employees from Manhattan) were involved in a shooting incident in 1903.  Chauncey Dewey was tried for murder after that incident, but was acquitted.  C.P. Dewey died in 1904 and his son Chauncey inherited a large part of his extensive estate. 

    Chauncey did not win the Congressional race mentioned in the wedding announcement and he and Elvira Dewey were divorced about 1920.  His second wife was Lavon Presson of Junction City.  Chauncey Dewey died in 1959.  He and his wife Lavon (who died in 1994) and other relatives are buried in Junction City’s Highland Cemetery.  Their graves are to the left, just inside the gate.)